Sunday, April 22, 2012

Freezer McMuffins!

Since I made my freezer breakfast burritos a few days ago, freezer cooking is my new favorite thing.

That way when I make lunch for myself but not for Kurt I don't have to feel guilty, because he could just eat a burrito from the freezer. :-P


Ingredients for these sandwiches:
-Eggs
-English muffins or other bread of your choice.
-Sliced cheese of your choice.
-Breakfast meat of your choice.
-Butter or cream cheese.


Step 1: Cook your eggs. 
I did mine in a muffin tin as seen on this recipe
 I actually used an oversized one to get a little wider of egg discs.
They went for about ten minutes at 400 degrees.
Use plenty of cooking spray or butter and they come out really easily afterwards.


Step 2: Prep the bread.
I just toasted mine in the oven for a couple minutes.
I used these sandwich thin deals that are 100 calories for both pieces. Normal bread is about 100 calories per slice so these are nice since I'm trying not to eat so many of my calories from carbs.
Now I could have buttered these, but I decided to go a slightly different route... 
I know I called these homemade McMuffins, but I actually like McGriddles better because of the maple syrup flavor.
 So I mixed some maple syrup with half a package of cream cheese that I needed to use up.
I spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on all my bread.
It's actually important to spread something on, all the way to the edges, if you're going to freeze pre-assembled sandwiches - helps keep the bread from getting soggy and weird.


Step 3: Bacon!
(Ham or sausage patties would also be excellent.)
Have fun fitting an entire package of bacon on a small broiler pan.
This went for about fifteen minutes at 400 degrees.


Step 4: assembly.
Put a slice of cheese on each bottom half of the bread.
Add your eggs. Even though I used a big muffin tin, these are still pretty little... I ended up squishing them with a fork a little to distribute the egg more evenly... next time I may just cook an egg or two per sandwich in six-inch egg skillets, which would get me perfect better sized circles.
I used a couple of pieces of bacon per sandwich.
Six breakfasts!
I wrapped mine in just aluminum foil even though paper towels and foil would have been better.
Because I'm a dork who can't be trusted to keep track of her own household's paper towel inventory.
I love having a stocked freezer.

These are under 400 calories each so they will work with my diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment