Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Clove Oranges for Christmas.

Kurt didn't know what clove oranges were, so obviously I had to make some. I think I first made these in Girls' Club. (Girls' Club was a group of homeschooled girls who got together and learned important "virtuous homemaking" skills such as how to decorate a cake to look like a Barbie skirt. There was also needlepoint involved. And cookies. It was fun.)

Anyway. 

You start with some cloves and some oranges. 

(I know these are slightly green for oranges. You take what you can get in December, I guess.)


Now a very complicated tutorial is coming up so y'all better pay lots of attention.

Poke holes in the orange with a toothpick.

Then stick the cloves in the holes.

I hope you got all that.


I actually used a metal nut pick instead of a toothpick but I don't know if everyone has one of those. But you need to use something because the cloves will break if you just try to stick them in there.


This second one was supposed say say "K & L" which I guess it sort of looks like it says but not really.


 From what I've read, these will actually last for years if you put the cloves really close together all over the orange. But cloves are actually kind of expensive so I decided I can't afford that kind of ridiculous luxury.


These have been sitting on my side table for a couple of weeks now and they skin is getting a little browner but they still smell awesome. So this amount of cloves would appear to be entirely adequate if they are only supposed to last for the duration of the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment