(photo found here)
I'm so glad to live in the Midwest again. We're far enough south that it's still sundress weather - I can wear a cardigan until about 8:30 am and then it's too hot - but the air smells like fall!
Things I want to do this fall:
- Go on a camping trip! It's no longer too hot to sleep at night and I'm pretty sure the burn ban is over - now we just need to get on this before it's freezing cold.
- Find an orchard where we can pick apples or buy fresh apple cider. My parents always took us to a cute little place to buy fresh pressed cider and it was so very much better than what you could get at the grocery store.
- Go to a pumpkin patch with hayrides and everything, even though I have no little kids. Then buy a pumpkin and actually roast it to make pie instead of using it for decoration until it gets all gross.
- Do a little fall decorating. Maybe a burlap bunting, so my life can be more like pinterest. Also sneakily put up a halloween decoration or two even though both sides of my family hate halloween. :-)
- Hike at a state park once the leaves start turning. Bring a thermos of hot chocolate.
- Finish the scarf I'm knitting for Kurt so he doesn't freeze to death.
- Try lots of new fall recipes.
- Stock up on cranberries because grocery stores are evil and only carry them in the fall.
- Wear as much plaid and cable-knit clothing as I can stuff onto my body at once.
Things that make it feel like fall now:
I've been looking up a lot of fall recipes on pinterest, and making menu plans and everything. Grocery shopping is more expensive when you plan for recipes and then buy those things instead of buying what's on sale and then planning dinners, but I think it's worth it to plan on trying new things every week. Fall soups, squash, things with gruyere, and pumpkin everything! (Except pumpkin-flavored coffee because that's disgusting and besides why would you get it when you can have a salted caramel mocha?)
Since I still haven't found a job, there is really no excuse for not cooking delicious food or doing projects around the house, so I'm going to try to do things I can post about!