Saturday, March 17, 2012

So I'm really 0% irish.

Since today is St. Patrick's Day (I know because as of about lunchtime I was seeing at least ten facebook statuses about drunkenness) I thought I would make corned beef and cabbage for dinner. It's Kurt's favorite but he decided he didn't feel like a big meal today so we're saving it for another time. In the meantime here is a delicious recipe which also involves corned beef. I made it for our not-watching-the-super-bowl party where we sat at home by ourselves and watched Star Trek and never got around to posting it. Clearly I will never be a successful blogger....

Anyway, without further ado... Really Unhealthy Reuben Dip.
Once years ago a guy at church brought this to one of our potluck dinners and I've been thinking about it ever since.

 Ingredients: 
corned beef from the deli at the grocery store.
canned sauerkraut.
swiss cheese.
cream cheese. (I buy neufchatel not because it has less fat although I suppose that's a plus, but because it's softer and easier to work with right out of the fridge. I never ever remember to set things out to soften.)
thousand island dressing. (I actually thought about trying to make my own because most pre-made salad dressing is gross, but I checked the label and it contained neither high fructose corn syrup nor hydrogenated oil so it passes my admittedly lax nutritional standards.)
pumpernickel or rye cocktail bread.
black pepper.

 1. Place neufchatel cheese or softened cream cheese in a pie plate. Also preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

 2. Grate up the swiss cheese. All of it.

 3. Take your corned beef that you got sliced because you didn't realize you could ask them to chop it for you...

 ...and chop it up fairly small because we're making a dip here.

 4. Add the corned beef and about half the swiss cheese....

 ...a good amount of the thousand island dressing...

 ...and a bunch of black pepper.

 5. Mix it all up and spread it out flat in your pie pan. This is already looking deliciously unhealthy.

 6. Get some sauerkraut and dry it off using paper towels so you're not getting the gross sauerkraut juice in your dip.

7. Add a nice layer of sauerkraut to your cheese and beef mixture.

 8. Add the rest of the swiss cheese and some more black pepper. Bake for around 15 minutes until it's nice and bubbly and is maybe getting slightly browned edges.

 9. You should be able to find fancy little cocktail bread like this somewhere around the deli area of your grocery store. It's adorable and tiny and the perfect size to eat with this dip. It's also a little bit dry... so normal rye or pumpernickel bread cut into small pieces might be a good option too. But I was going for cute here.

 10. Take the deliciously gooey dip out of the oven.

Realize you have basically an entire pie pan of cheese here and two people to eat it.

Eat it all.

(I  basically used this recipe here but they gave me more corned beef than I asked for at the deli so I compensated by using the whole chunk of swiss cheese instead of just part of it. Gotta have balance here.)

This is my St. Patrick's Day outfit. I bought this dress yesterday and Kurt accuses me of only buying it so I would have something green to wear without having to do laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment